Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What pop should sound like

So we don't hate pop, we hate fake shallow stale empty phony all brawn no brains no substance glossy grossness. Pop is good. Everything has pop hooks. The Beatles are great. Doo wop, Motown, indie pop. The Ramones sound very poppy. I always thought the chorus to In Bloom sounded like a lullaby. Nirvana are verry poppy too. Drain You and On a Plain are two of the poppiest songs I've ever heard. So are Shonen Knife. Just not the pop that's been popular since '98. I love that K Records Olympia happy poppy upbeat childlike stuff. Kurt Cobain got a tattoo of the K Records logo on his arm for that reason. I always wanted to do that too. So here's some good poppy music.

Beat Happening - Indian Summer



The Vaselines - Son of a Gun


Daniel Johnston - I Had Lost My Mind



Half Japanese - Put Some Sugar On It


Teenage Fanclub - Star Sign. I just had to put this one up again.


Lois - Indie. I first heard of Lois by finding out abbout the band Courtney Love that she's in. Not the person, the band. I heard they named themselves that to make fun of her. Good band, and I like her solo stuff too. I think her name is Lois Maffeo.


Courtney Love (the band)  - Don't Mix The Colors. I hear this is a Beat Happening song, so I'm dying to hear the Beat Happening version, but I love this version, and it was one that really stuck out in my mind from the three Kill Rock Stars comps.



Flop - The Great Valediction. From Seattle. I keep getting hooked on this one. Sooooo good. And I think I see those sunglasses once again.



The Posies - Dream All Day. From Seattle, but a lot poppier than the other grunge bands.


The Pastels - Crawl Babies



Gin Blossoms - Found Out About You


Dandy Warhols - Nothing to Do


Tullycraft - Pop Songs Your New Boyfriend's Too Stupid To Know About


Crackerbash - Orion. Sort of pop punky.

 Bratmobile - Girl Germs. Riot Grrrl indie pop.


Foo Fighters - Big Me


Dinosaur Jr. - The Wagon


Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun


Pixies - Gigantic. Yeah, Kim Deal should have been allowed to have WAAAYYY more say in writing Pixies songs. But oh well, The Breeders are great too, if not better.


Meat Puppets - Plateau


Dead Moon - It's Ok



Hum - Stars. Ok, I'll add this one and the next two just for the heck of it, since I just discovered them and can't get them out of my mind. It is noisy rock poppy alternative I guess. There's all sorts of poppy music. Apparently there is a whole pack of other Chicago alternative bands that sound similar to Smashing Pumpkins. Perfection.


Lit - My World. Did you know Lit, the band that did My Own Worst Enemy, used to be grunge? I heard this song and was amazed, and was like why didn't they keep this sound up? They should go back to it.


Catherine - Idiot. More Chicago alternative noisy pop Smashing Pumpkinsesque.



So don't be saying us rock people hate everything but rock, for we love everything but what is fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, encouraged, and appreciated.