Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Women Power, we get to play heavy music and totally rock out in pretty dresses. Women in rock: We're about taking control, not trashing yourself; chicks that rock

7 Year Bitch - No Fucking War

Calamity Jane - Out of Money

Helium - Pat's Trick. Totally 90s


Veruca Salt - All Hail Me

The Breeders - Cannonball


Dickless - Saddle Tramp. This and all the Dickless songs are on my youtube channel in case anyone wants to check it out
Babes in Toyland - Bruise Violet. Bruise Violet is how I found out about Kinderwhore, which I love but I hate that Courtney Love also donned the fashion
L7 - Shove


Bikini Kill - Sugar. Bikini Kill is the main Riot Grrrl band, and I'll always love them for the great music and meaningful lyrics
Sonic Youth - Kool Thing. When I saw Kool Thing for the first time, I kept thinking about how cool Kim Gordon's clothes are. I kept watching Nirvana interviews with the guys talking about their influences, they were great about that, and after a while of hearing them mention band names, I figured maybe I should check them out since my favorite band liked them so much, so the first band i checked out was Sonic Youth since they seemed to talk about them a lot, and this was the first music I checked out by them, and I thought it was really cool, so that was like my que that the guys of Nirvana have really great taste in music and to check out their other favorite bands, and now all the other bands I love and listen to I heard about from Nirvana.
There was even an episode of Roseanne dedicated to riot grrrl. I saw that when I was little, and that was always the one episode that I kept in the back of my mind my whole life and I remember thinking is this punk, because if it is I like it, and it turned out to be riot grrrl, and I remember hearing Roseanne talking about how it was strong women writing about real things, and when I discovered riot grrrl by way of grunge a few years ago, I wondered if that was what the episode was about, so I searched for it, and sure enough, it was.
Splendora - You're Standing on My Neck. Splendora is a really great band that did the wicked sweet theme song to the show Daria. I always wanted to cover that song. The rest of their songs are great, and I think they only put out 1 album back in '95, and the songs are all on youtube.
Hammerbox - Size of the World.  Hammerbox are a really great female fronted Seattle 90's grunge band. Totally 90's!
The Gits - Second Skin. And of course I have to put up the Gits, a Seattle band fronted by the oh so amazingly passionate Mia Zapata who was murdered in 1993, but thank god they caught the guy. She died around a year after Stefanie Sargent of 7 year bitch did of a drug overdose, and I think they were both 27, more to add to the 27 club, so sad.
Janitor Joe - Boys in Blue. So I hate Courtney Love, grew up knowing her as the crazy woman and I didn't even know she had anything to do with music, and it turns out she married my favorite musician, and it's too obvious to mention that she did it, but anyway, I don't really listen to much Hole because of her and that annoying nasally winy voice, but I found Kristen Pfaff's main band, Janitor Joe, and I instantly loved the wicked sweet bass line on this song. She died of suspicious circumstances (Courtney again) but we'll just say drug overdose, a little while after Kurt died, I think she was also 27, creepy.
Mecca Normal - Waiting for Rudy. Now this one is totally creative



That Dog - Grunge Couple. That dog is great because they rock violins and sweet voices in their grungy, punkish, alternative songs.

Red Aunts - Roller Derby Queen

Bratmobile - Eating Toothpaste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, encouraged, and appreciated.